Destinations

Coastline

Home / Destinations / Coastline

Coastline

The municipality’s coastal zone consists of many interesting places that are surely worth a visit, such as Elounda, Plaka, Sissi, Milatos, Kalo Chorio, and other smaller villages.

All these places are developed, giving the opportunity for a wealth of activities for everyone. Scenic beaches, luxurious hotels, rooms to rent, traditional taverns, and tourist attractions are only few of the reasons why these areas are more developed and popular.

Coastline in figures

80 km of coastline,
over 70 beaches,
27 Blue Flags

Coastal villages

Beloved beaches

The wider area of the Municipality of Agios Nikolaos is filled with numerous beaches. Small coves, long sandy beaches, hidden bays with crystal clear waters are only few of its attractions. The water sports opportunities, organized beaches and scenic taverns by the water attract all holidaymakers. All the beaches, aside from being safe since they are located in the wind-protected bay of Mirabello, comply with European standards, while many of them were awarded the Blue Flag.

Activities

Agios Nikolaos offers a great variety of activities throughout the year. Find one that you like.

Religious Monuments

Agios Panteleimon in Kalo Chorio

The church, built on top of an older, bigger one, was frescoed in 1347-48. Iconography -as is common for small single-aisled island churches- includes evangelical scenes, whole-body and half-body saints, while on the eastern wall there is a fresco of Christ Anapeson.

Agios Georgios

The church is located on the eastern side of the islet and was constructed during the Venetian occupation, as first noted in Filippo Verneda’s design of 1653. It was renovated during the period of operation of the Leper Colony.

Agios Panteleimon

The church of Agios Panteleimon is located on the west side of the islet and was built in 1709, according to the inscription found on its western façade. The church was restored in the early 20th century and served as the main church during the period of operation of the Leper Colony.